Thursday, August 5, 2010

Vava'u, Tonga



















I will be the first to admit that I haven't gotten very many great pictures yet in Vava'u, Tonga. Nonetheless, I thought people might be curious to see what this little South Pacific port town looks like. It is cuter, better organized, and bigger than I expected, thankfully. It is a popular destination for yachts and other sailing craft making long distance trips because it has a naturally protected harbor and the surrounding islands are also relatively sheltered from the tumultuous ocean so they are fun to hop around to. It is also relatively big and westernized with nearly a dozen restaurants, several mom & pop grocery stores, and internet connection.

I have come here to swim with whales - humpback whales to be more specific. I have been lucky enough in the past two days to see two whales and a calf surface the water (as well as two pods of dolphins) and could hear them 'singing' to each other during my two dives yesterday, but I haven't seen them yet up close. Hopefully, I will have the opportunity this afternoon on a five hour whale watching tour that allows customers, four at a time, to snorkel with whales. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.