Monday, August 9, 2010

I'm Coming to America

I can hardly believe it, but I have only three weeks remaining in my seven month round-the-world trip. I am both ready to get back to the creature comforts the U.S. has at every turn and also looking forward to seeing friends and family. Simultaneously, though, I am really looking forward to getting back to The Netherlands, to my husband, and the ease only found at home. I can't say I am enjoying the prospect of job hunting, but I am starting to get excited about getting back to a job and regaining a daily direction in my life. I wish I could tell you what that direction will be. I am trying the best I can to quell the panic this uncertainty is giving rise to and just enjoy my last weeks of vacation.

I have started to think about what I will take away from this trip, but I think it is only fair to wait awhile to draw any deep conclusions else they will be hasty and superficial. I need the emotional distance that is only possible for me with the passage of time so I can cull through my experiences - to turn them over and over and examine them from time to time.

I set out to do many things on this trip and have done most. I haven't written the articles for travel magazines, though, for instance, that I talked about doing nor started the website that was supposed to partially offset my expenses. Through this blog, though, I have been writing and, more importantly, I have started to share my writing which is a big step for me. (I hope all of you have enjoyed it too!) In doing so, it has catalyzed me to get into the habit of writing which is something I have always meant to do. So, in that way, the trip has been a success. Like so many, my hope is to one day write a book (or ten) and the thought was to use the trip for material. We'll see. It just seems so large a goal.

I fly out tomorrow morning from Vava'u, Tonga to begin what will surely be the longest day on record. I will take three flights, the longest nearly 13 hours, and still manage to arrive in San Francisco the same day as I departed Tonga. Time zones are funny that way. There my mom will pick me up from the airport and we will begin a week long whirlwind road trip to Muir Woods, wine country (Napa & Sonoma), and Big Sur amongst other places. Then we'll fly to IL together where I will spend two weeks catching up with friends and family. Ready or not, here I come! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.