Friday, July 24, 2009

Veggie Out

I started volunteering today at a non-profit. I will be helping out on a new microlending project. I am really excited about it because it gives me an opportunity to learn about the field that I am hoping, someday, to study in an MBA program.

The other volunteers I met today are in the 18-25 age range and it was a big eye opener to me to experience just how much things have changed since I was their age. I should clarify. I am not surprised that things have moved on since I graduated, but in the form those changes have taken. Other than the constant e-mailing and researching being done without the aide of a single bound book, it was comical to me the literal gasps conveyed when I admitted that I neither owned a laptop nor had a memory stick on my person at the moment. This was followed by an empathetic look towards someone (me) they now saw as out-of-touch and pathetic. They were nice people (I will amend my reflect to term them kids) and all. This is just yet another circle in which I am not within. But they sure are fun to talk to!

Moving on...I am making some big lifestyle changes these days. I am trying not to think of it as a diet, but it sure looks and feels like one at least these first few days. The main reason is to address some digestion issues that have plagued me now for three months, but it would also be nice to get rid of the pooch/pouch I've picked up since getting married. My friend Danielle will regognise the regime immediately because she has been following it on and off for as long as I've known her. I probably just should have listened all those years ago. What can I say? I can be a bit stubborn.

I start off the day with warm water with lemon and then follow it with a fruit smoothie an hour later. The rest of the day consists of eating alkaline foods which are, basically, fruits, vegetables, seeds, and nuts. I can still have my daily cup of coffee or two and can eat seafood, chicken, and pork, but that's pretty much the complete list. As sad as this sounds, the biggest thing for me so far has been, besides bread, alcohol. I miss the glass of wine with dinner and, on top of that, we now have two cases of wine that my husband bought from our friend's parents last week while they were in Friesland. I may take one night off per week just for the wine ;)

I should also start taking a yoga or meditation class, but I am hesitant about starting at least for the time being. As one can imagine, with digestion already a problem and the introduction now of a lot of fruits and vegetables...let's just say I am afraid of embarrassing myself with unwanted noises.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.