Yesterday I was feeling pretty good after my fat burning aerobics class...famous last words. When the instructor pointed to a part of his body - indicating this was the area we'd be targeting next - and gave a funny intro in Dutch about why someone would want to tone her bottom ("for their boyfriend", Hector, the gay instructor quipped to a class of women) or her obliques, I was skeptical about the likelihood of targeting a muscle group. I can't seem to just lose weight in my stomach, so why does this man think he can do the same in exercising? Oh, how wrong can a person be? I am not new to exercising, but, wow, have I managed to get out of shape! On top of that, this was one of the easiest classes they offer. Nothing like a blow to the ego of a has-been college athlete.
With most of the logistical planning out of the way for our Australia trip, I spent a good part of the day focused on the really important details....shopping. I wanted to try to avoid special purchases just for the trip, but the national park and rain forest excursions expressly require everyone to wear ankle high hiking boots. My husband assures me that a pair of old New Balances won't cut it. In the U.S. or even if I was still working in the U.K., I would enjoy this kind of shopping, but as The Netherlands is really far behind on on-line shopping and quality shoes are freakishly expensive, it was a frustrating afternoon. I think I am just going to have to suck it up and pay the full local sticker price...a cardinal sin in my book. If anyone cares, I think I will be going with the Merrell waterproof Chameleon (they sound prettier than they are).
Next on my list was finding some books about Australia. Besides the standard travel guide, I was thinking historical fiction would be interesting what with all of the criminals that were just chucked there. Due to the Sydney Olympics, I think, there were SO many books to choose from. I went with Bill Bryson on audio book so I can listen to him while I walk. I am not a huge fan of his - I really don't get why people find him SUCH a comic genius - but he is good for a laugh which always helps on a walk through the center of town while doing errands. I also chose the "The Traveller's History of Australia" and "The Fatal Shore". It's more than I planned to buy, but it's a long flight over and we're there for awhile so, I figure, a few books can't hurt. And, yes, I found a coupon to use on bol.com so all was right with the world again.
After work tomorrow, I head up north to Friesland for the night. My husband and his friend are taking a week long sculpting class up there. They are going to each pick out a stone and carve them into works of art. I am a little skeptical, but this is our friend's third year doing this and his other two sculptures are really impressive. I am going because I have never been to Friesland and because our friend's sculpture this year will be our wedding present and he wants us to pick out a stone. And, the following day, I am going to head home via ferry and then train. I will post some pictures. This is also going to be my first caravan experience in The Netherlands or really anywhere as we are sleeping in our friend's parents' caravan. I can't remember if that is free standing motor home or a pull along on a hitch behind a car thing. I hope the first. I think this is may be another rite of passage into the Dutch culture. I hope it goes well. The parents are wine sellers so there is always that silver lining.
Tot zo!
Sunday, July 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.