Saturday, July 18, 2009

The List continues

It is interesting to watch how my 'list' unfolds because, day by day, I remember all of the purchases I have been putting off. I also have this constant rationalization in the back of my mind that I now have this significant amount of savings set aside that was to be used for an MBA that is just sitting there.

Today, I am reminded of all of the English language magazines I have put off subscribing to. It started because I have in my mind that I will try to get published again in a travel writing magazine. I am aiming, this time, for a more popular publication and am considering submitting a few article ideas to National Geographic Traveller and Conde Nast. Could you imagine? Seriously! Me, a National Geographic writer. It would be par with David Attenborough in my mind. You know, the voice of the "Planet Earth" dvd and all of those BBC nature documentaries you (okay, me and my husband) get sucked in to?

Back to the magazines...I am really having to narrow it down here. I have already ordered a SCUBA magazine and put it in my husband's name because I figure he will like it and because it won't count in my list of magazines ordered. I re-order "Oprah". Yes, I know it is a cliche and an especially Chicagoan one at that, but I really like the magazine and, on top of that, dream of being published in it some day as a columnist. Other than Dr. Phil and Susie Orman, they are really quite witty. I think I will substitute my "Fitness" subscription for "Food and Wine" because who am I kidding? I am going to aerobics now so that I can enjoy food and wine so my passion lays much more with the latter. I am also tinkering with getting Conde Nast or National Geographic Traveller because it feels like just research for my writing endevours, but it seems a bit gluttenous. Well, the winter is coming...gotta have something for those cold nights, right? It's not like we have Tivo or even cable. I can rationalize anything :)

Oh, I propose a...poll.

What parts of our upcoming Australia trip do you think I should submit as travel magazine ideas? What would you want to read about? I am thinking it would be nice to read about a wine tour through Margaret River near Perth and/or the area outside of Sydney. I was thinking a good idea would also be one of the excursions we are going on - either to the national parks near Darwin or in the Daintree rainforest. My last idea is to write about diving along the Ningaloo Reef and tenting on a island nearby. The 7 day liveaboard in the Great Barrier Reef will be fantastic, but I imagine that has already been written about a lot so I need to do something different. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.