Saturday, November 20, 2010

I wanna, I need ta, IKEA

Saturday, November 20

I am currently stuck quite deeply in the middle of the interviewing phase of job hunting. My interview yesterday made #15, I think. There is only so much a person should be allowed to talk about themselves. And, yet, I was literally up all last night contemplating after I was asked in my interview yesterday, "Where do you see yourself in the immediate and and long term future." I guess there is no bottom to my need for self-reflection. My poor husband. Thank goodness we have a spare bedroom where I can stew in my own juices alone.

For some reason now, in the midst of interviewing, seems the crucial time to get some home improvement done. It could be because I see the light at the end of the tunnel and that I may be working very soon and, thus, will not have as much time for such things. Or it could be that I am optimistic about getting a job (cha ching) and feel confident enough to spend some money. Well, I feel confident enough to buy some shelves at IKEA. That is not exactly furniture I guess, but I did buy four sets of shelves.

Sometimes it amazes me how little my husband and I do on weekends. We both felt a major sense of accomplishment after arriving back home from IKEA at 11 am with our four flat packed bundles....so much so that we abruptly posited the flat pack bundles in the rooms where they will eventually be installed and haven't touched them since.

Did you know that IKEA has one euro breakfast deals? Did you know that they open their doors at 9am, but that the store itself is not accessible until 10am? Genius! We, of course, did not realize this until we arrived at IKEA at 9.20 am. We sat huddled around one of many child friendly nooks while strangers let their offspring run wild as they enjoyed cheap bakery rolls and slurped not half bad 75 cent cappuccinos.



Monday, 22 November

So, in record time, we have made progress on our IKEA purchases. On Sunday, I put together the new night stand/shelving for our bedroom and we got it properly installed and decorated. It still amazes me that, after a university degree, two accounting certifications and years of work, I get such a great feeling of accomplishment from using screws and what is essentially particle board that has been painted white to build a shelf. I am so proud, I feel like posting a picture of it. I can't say I have ever felt the same urge to take a picture of a report I've worked on for weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.